From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 07:56:11 -0700
I was not aware that the % of system resources free was reporting a
percentage of a fixed amount of RAM set aside for that rather than a
percentage of total available RAM.  Now that I know what the percentage
refers to it works for me.  Thanks.

Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Adding RAM

>What confuses me is that if, as others have said, system resources is a set
>amount of RAM specifically for that, then the percentage of resources it
>takes up should go down as the amount of RAM goes up.  For instance, if
>Windows takes a certain amount of memory for system resources like 10 Mb,
>that is a bigger percentage of 128 Mb than it is of 256 Mb.  It would be
>approximately 7% of 128 Mb and about 3.5% of 256 Mb.  On my machine I've
>noticed that the more RAM I have the bigger chunk of it is used.  When I
had
>64 Mb it would show 86% of system resources free.  With 256 Mb I often see
>77% free.  The math involved here does not compute.  I have a friend with
an

The percentage is the amount of the fixed ram allocated to System Resources
that is free.

So, if it allocated 10M of RAM, and you have used up 22% of that 10M then
you would have
78% free.  The amount of total RAM in your system has nothing to do with it.

Wether you have 256M or 64M the system still allocates the same amount of
ram for
system Resources and if reports the amount of that ram that is still
available.