From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:06:32 -0700
You would have to look at the specs for each drive you intend
to use.  Each manufacturer has a spec page on the web as well
as a label on the drive itself.

IN GENERAL.... a SCSI drive will draw around 1 1/2 to 2 amps
while running but they have a peak (the initial uuummph to get
the spindle motor and platters spinning) of about 4-5 amps.
(Not to change the subject, but that is a good reason for not
shutting off a PC -- it reduces the strain on the Power supply).

I suppose that a low-end builder of power supplies might scrimp
and save a penny or two by using an undersized wire which could
result in the situation that David spoke of.  I think that as long
as you use UL and CSA listed components, you should not have any
problem putting two drives on a "Y-ed" cable

Although, as a matter of caution, I always try to mate a hard drive
with a floppy or CD if I need to split a cable.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting     Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol   International Webmasters Association
=====