From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 07:44:50 -0400
ON 8/28/1998 Susan Sutherland wrote:

>Under "hard disk controllers", both "primary IDE controller (dual fifo)"
>and "secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)" have yellow exclamation points
>beside them. . . .
>
>I *have* been getting more seemingly random sorts of freeze-ups lately,
>with no apparent pattern. . . .
>. . . Several times I've had this happen with a "fatal exception at IFSMGR".
> . . .This happens maybe once a day, with the machine being on all
>day. Also, when the machine starts up, it seems to make more noise than
>usual. Not any alarming sorts of clunking sounds, it just sounds like it's
>reading the disk a lot more. . . .

Susan:

IFSMGR is the Installable File System Manager, which receives INT 21
calls and determines which file system driver should process it. Essentially,
IFSMGR arbitrates access to the different file system components, which
includes VFAT, 32-bit CD-ROM file system, network device support, and
file systems from device vendors.

If your problem is the lack of -- or the corruption of -- a required driver,
then, your best bet is to reinstall any drivers specific to your hardware
(i.e., any required drivers for your hard disk, such as Ultra DMA, IDE
controllers, motherboard, etc.). If that doesn't work, try reinstalling
Windows on top of your existing setup (MS tech support's favorite
panacea and/or placebo).

As Member Sprague pointed out, it could be a hardware problem (drive
going South). Run a drive diagnostic, preferably one specific to your hard
drive.

Good luck.

John Chin

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**