From:
"Paul J. Traynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:39:10 +0100
Hi All,

Last week I  installed service pack 3 on my win 2k machine.  Shortly after
that I began to notice focus problems with my screens.  I went into the
properties of display and noted that several settings had somehow changed on
the display so I reset them.  All was fine till next time I turned on the pc
and the problem was back.  I sat for a while  to with the display settings
opened up on screen and  found that somehow they had taken on a life of
their own, all the time I watched they were changing and  completely
unstable.  Screen savers were changing from one  screen saver to another and
back again while in the appearance tab, the scheme was always changing and
in the settings tab colour pallet it was changing from "256 colours" to "16
high colour and even 32 bit true colour".  I couldn't get any of them to
settle.  As it had been a long time since I  cleaned up the system I decided
to go down the road of formatting the  machine, "Maxdata, 256 memory, 20 gb
hard disk and 1ghz processor" so format it I did and  rebuilt win 2k on it
again.  All was now perfect, everything was working fine once more but I
felt that  I should  go to the windows update site and  take down any
available updates and service packs which I did last night.

Today I am back to square one once more, the display settings are  going
crazy again and  while I  reset them it only lasts for a while and focus
problems  become so bad that I can't  continue with my work.

I now feel that "service pack 3" is bad, bad, bad.  I only heard this
morning after doing some  investigation that a general feeling around is
that  there are a lot of bugs in it but can't find out anything more.

Right now I would like to know what my options are here.

1.  Can I somehow reverse the installation of "sp3"?, Can I roll back from
that .

2.  If I did a "repair" of win 2k would that help?.

3.  can you roll back to a previous good version of the windows registry
which wouldn't contain any  mention of the  updates I installed last night?.

If there is a way for  doing any of the above, could someone please let me
know, either  direct me to knowledge base articles or  to a site which talks
about such  fixes.

Sorry for the long post,

Paul.

---