From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:39:43 -0800
I am jumping in a bit late here, but I do have some comments on this since I
went through this process myself. The ATI All-in-wonder card is one way to
go. I have used one of these cards myself. However, there is quite a bit of
learning to be done in how to capture the video input. Specifically, on my
system at least, I had dropped frames when I tried to capture without
compression. It also uses up a whole lot of disk space when you do a raw
capture. It is in setting up the codecs and compression settings that a lot
of trial and error learning takes place.

An alternative to using a video capture card is to buy a USB video
converter. They cost about $100 or even less. These devices accept a video
input and output an MPEG format compressed video. The problem is that you
are now relying on someone else's judgment of how to compress the file, but
it does save you the trouble of making those choices yourself. Till you
learn how to properly configure the video capture, it might be a lot easer
to use one of these external solutions. In any case, be sure you have a
whole lot of disk space available. Fortunately, 1TB hard disks are now down
to $100 or so!

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Peter Shkabara
805-929-2085