From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:51:28 -0800

> I wonder why a fan would come on in a lap top when the system was off and
stored in its case?  It was in use and I put it in its case to go and when I
got to my destination I found that the fan was on, it was a bit
> worm, but I don't think that worm.
>
> At any rate it was in the case for about twenty minutes and there was 69%
of the battery left, could I have damaged something as it was worm, but not
hot in my opinion.

I would suspect the laptop was pretty warm to begin with
and by immediately sealing it in a case, heat could not vent.
Newer laptops(within a couple years) monitor temperature
continually in case you leave your laptop in a hot car, etc.
Your BIOS might have an option to disable the power
off cooling. Some Winbook laptops list this under
power management.

As far as damage. Heat is definitely more
difficult to remedy on laptops due to their
compact size. I've tested a Cyrix based laptop
at 88*C before it took out the motherboard
cache. I don't know if heat really damaged the
cache, but it can shorten battery life among
other things.

Also, you may already know this from your
owner's manual...
Never close your laptop display while the power
is on or just after using it for a long period.
The LCD display is very vulnerable to heat
rising up through the keyboard. Few warranties
will cover LCD's damaged by heat.

-yui shin

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org