From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:22:28 -0300
Just a long shot here . . .  Did you assign a drive letter to the CD-RW in
such a way that Windows is unable to assign automatically to the DVD?
Change it to a very high letter like x,y, or z and see if the DVD reappears.
To confirm this problem, download a Windows 98 boot disk  from
WWW.bootdisk.com and boot from the floppy drive, DOS  should assign each a
drive letter with no problem (probably D and E).
Howard Rubin
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE: Date:    Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:09:09 -0500
From:    Jim Dirksen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: DVD Drive not recognized

I Posted this about 10 days ago with no response.
The system is a Pentium 4 1.6, Win XP-Home, less than a year old.
Up till now everything has been working fine. Tried reading a CD with the
DVD drive, no luck, but it worked fine in CD\R\RW drive. The DVD drive light
came on and spun up like it was reading the CD. Checked Device Manager, no
DVD drive listed just the CD\R\RW. Checked the BIOS, the DVD drive was
there. I then put the Win XP CD in the DVD drive and rebooted. The machine
booted up on the CD in the DVD. I let the Win XP install program install a
few files, before stopping it, the DVD was working here.
I them rebooted XP, checked Device Manager, no DVD. Is there a corrupt
driver or something in XP that's stopping the DVD from being recognized? It
seems to work fine in DOS.
If I disconnect the DVD from the system, reboot, do I need to remove some
files so I can reboot after reconnecting the DVD to see if New Hardware
Found comes up. Is there a different way I can remove/install new drivers
for this DVD when XP doesn't recognize it? Am I thinking right or is there
something else?
Any help would be appreciated.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com