From:
Marc Guise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 07:06:44 +0200
At 10:14 30/12/99 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi All
>I have seen for ages when I boot up that  H/D  S.M.A.R.T  capability is
>disabled.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means?? Thanks   Ian

Hi Ian
SMART stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology System
. As far as I know, it's software built into a hard disk which analyses
performance and reliability. There's more info at Quantum's site:
http://www.quantum.com/src/whitepapers/wp_smart_toc.htm

Here's an excerpt from that page:
The S.M.A.R.T. system  is comprised of software that resides both on the
disk drive and on the host computer. The disk drive software monitors the
internal performance of the motors, media, heads, and electronics of the
drive, while the host software monitors the overall reliability status of
the drive. The reliability status is determined through the analysis of the
drive's internal performance level and the comparison of internal
performance levels to predetermined threshold limits.
Hope this helps you
Marc Guise