From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:28:02 -0400
My bet is that the modem was nuked -- direct short across the lines at
the input. Been there, done that. A lightning stroke hit a tree across
the street and decided to go to ground via my modem, answering machine
and a really nice two-line telephone. All of the cheap phones survived.
Oh well, better than the whole computer, TV and stereo. Since then I've
used surge protectors that have a circuit for the phone line, too.
Although the Telco does install lightning protection right were the
lines enter the house, they don't always work.
-- Carroll Grigsby

TERRENCE_NOLLEY wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>         After a thunder storm, I received a call from one of my relatives.
> He told me that he was no longer able to access the internet. (Dell
> computer and DellNet ISP)  First, I tried running alittle built-in
> program that came already installed to check the modem. The program check
> parameters such as: modem,hardware,port,dialtone etc...  Every parameter
> pass except the dialtone section.  So I disconnected the cable on the
> modem end (there's only one cable with this system no in and out cable
> needed) and connected a phone directly to RJ-11 port in the wall.  At that
> point I was able to receive a dialtone.  When I decided to plug the cable
> back into the modem,  I was not able to get a dialtone anywhere in the
> house.  So I don't know if it's a modem problem or my phone line that
> needs to be inspected.
>
> Terrence Nolley
> Valdosta State University
> Media Center