From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 02:25:08 -0800
On 5 Nov 2005 at 11:54, David Jonathan Justman wrote:

> One of my machines is set up to dual boot WinXP and Win2000.  Will
> they 'obey' permissions I set on the folders.  In other words, if I
> use Win 2K to set a certain partition to allow only members of the
> Administrators group, will WinXP only allow its own Administrators
> group?
>
> Thanks.
> David.

  If these were domain groups, managed by a Windows Server (NT/2K/2K3)
acting as a "Domain Controller", then the answer would be "Yes", but it's
pretty unlikely that's what you have.  In the more likely case, accounts and
groups are defined and managed locally, and so each OS has know knowledge of
accounts and groups that are in the other's database.
  So I think that only permissions granted or denied to the "Everyone" group
will be visible to both OSes.  And *possibly* the "Administrator" account,
since it has a reserved internal SID value that will be common to both.  But
for any other account or group, even if the name is the same in both OS
installations, the internal SID can/will differ, and that's what's actually
stored in the permission lists.

David Gillett