From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 21:33:08 -0700
On 1 May 2002, at 6:53, Harvey Rose wrote:

> I'm working on a Pentuim II with Windows 98 1st edition. The people
> installed a CDROM 52X then started to have problems. The video will only go
> to 16 colours and you can't change it from 640x480.
> The other thing that is happening that you have to reboot to get on the
> internet. They have an 10/!00M  ethernet card connected to DSL. They had
> also lost their sound card but fixed this by going into Microsoft and
> fixing the system.ini file with the line "drivers=mmsystem.dll.
> They are running Directx 8.0
>
> Can anyone help me? Is there conflict in IRQ and how can one tell?
>
> Harvey Rose

> .... The video will only go to 16 colours and you can't change it
> from 640x480.

  This makes it pretty clear that they are running the default VGA
driver, and not the correct Cirrus driver for the card.  That
suggests that either they are running in safe mode, or the Cirrus
driver needs to be reinstalled.

Dave Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml