From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:57:44 -0700
It has been a while since I have installed Windows 98 on a computer, but
I'll try to help.

My understanding of your present situation is as follows:

You have a computer with Windows 98 on it but the computer will not load
Windows 98.

You want to reformat the hard disk and reload Windows 98 on it from a CD.

You do not have the emergency floppy disk that Windows 98 will set up
for you.

If your computer completes the boot process and then fails to load
Windows 98, go into the BIOS/CMOS and set the CD drive to be first in
the boot order. If you CAN NOT do that skip the following as you will
have to get a bootable floppy with the CD drive driver on it as well as
the format program as you have tried to do. If you CAN change to the CD
drive being first in the boot order, restart the computer with the
Windows 98 installation CD in the CD drive. I do not remember, but if
there is an option in the installation process to reformat the hard
drive, you have what you want. If there is no option, let the
installation complete. Then make an emergency floppy desk from within
the Windows 98 program. I forget how to get to that process. Change the
BIOS/CMOS to set the floppy drive first in the boot order and restart
the computer with the emergency floppy disk in the floppy drive. Once
the floppy drive is finished loading, you will be able to reformat the
hard disk - change the BIOS back to CD first in the boot order - restart
using the Windows 98 CD for installation.

Please post to let us know how you made out.

Tom

john clemence wrote:
> Hi, I have been trying to follow your guide to format a hard drive. I downloaded the win 98 start up disc from your web site but when I put it in the machine and switched on I get the following messages:-
> Searching for boot record from floppy
> CDLR is missing
> Press any key to continue.
> I tried to format the floppy and re-down load again from your web site a couple of times but no change.
> This pc wont now start so I used anothe pc to d/load disc. I want to clear the old disc so I can load a new copy of win 98 from a cd.
> Hope this isn't a too basic question.
> Manynthanks,
> John Clemence.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,