From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:10:34 -0700
Monique

I am replying to both of your recent posts.

First: The HP 8360 uses 168 pin dimms and the Compaq 1500 series uses
184 pin dimms. So they are not compatible.

Second: I did some shopping and found your best bet is to use Ebay -
www.ebay.com - and find the right memory from a reputable seller. I
found 256MB (2 X 128) of the RAM you need for $15 (buy now price) plus
$8 shipping from Midwest Computer Brokers. Double check the specs on the
memory as my review was rather limited. By the time this message is
posted and you can act on it, the RAM may be sold. However, there are
sure to be other sellers. The RAM you want is SDRAM, PC66, CL=2,
unbuffered, non-parity, 3.3v, 168 pin dimm.

The cheapest retail I found was from www.oempcworld for $50 (2 X $25)
with free shipping. www.upgradememory has it for $48 (2 X $24) plus
shipping.

BTW The HP 8360 is a PII machine with not a lot of "power" in stock
configuration. Upgrading the memory is a good step, but to run movies on
DVD will likely require an upgrade to the video card to the best that
the computer can handle. Even than, the DVD movies may not play
satisfactorily. Also, if you get any educational programs or games, be
sure they will work on the system before buying. The older configuration
of the system will limit your selection.

I hope this helps you and your 7 year old.

Tom Mayer

Monique wrote:
> Would the RAM from a Compaq Presario 1525 be compatible w/ a HP Pavillion 8360 ? I've found that the HP RAM runs at 66 mhz, and that has made it costly to find. I had the Compaq given to me to use anything salvagable from it, it's about as ancient as the HP, but the HP is running now for my 7 yr old and I would like to add some RAM. I can't find info for the Compaq like I have the HP, and I haven't gone inside it yet. If anyone knows, please tell me...
>
> Thanks
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com