From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:13:28 -0500
At 02:38 PM 3/23/1998 Roxanne Pierce wrote:

>I always put CD-ROM's in the systems I build on "H". If I were to build a
>system with SCSI hard drives, I'd probably put the CD-ROM letter higher.
>However, since I build IDE systems, and I know my clients very well, I
figured
>that H was high enough. All the drives I'm responsible for putting in are
>formatted using FAT32, and one big partition.  None of the clients I have are
>at all likely to have more than two (three would be a stretch) hard drives
and
>a removable (which I do let stay below the CD-ROM).

I also designate a CD-ROM drive letter well beyond the letter of
the last possible Hard Drive expected in a system.  With a DOS
system the more drives you provide for (LASTDRIVE= . . .), the
less conventional/UMA Memory you have, so be prudent. There's no
free lunch.

Unlike Roxanne, I partition my drive into 2 partitions or more.
I put the O/S and the applications on C: and the data on D:
Keeping data on a separate drives makes backup much easier and
safer. Plus, if you need to reinstall the OS and apps, you need
merely format c: and your data can be left alone.

Just remember to set all the pointers for your apps to seek
their data on the D: drive, by subdirectory.

If you network, your mapped drive letters will start even higher
than the CD-ROM.

Regards,

John