From:
Dave Souza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:03:06 -0400
John Chin wrote:
>What kinds of tools and equipment (POST cards, SIMM
>testers, DMMs, scopes and the like) would you recommend
>we specify for testing and refurbishing 4-5 year old
>"working" computers which may need to be upgraded
>to multimedia, Win95 and Internet-capable computers?

Nothing real fancy - Some decent computer tool kits from Radio Shack or the
like will suffice.  I would recommend purchasing a multiple user license for
a program called TuffTest Pro.  It is great for diagnosing problems and
burning-in systems after upgrades.  You'll want to get the loopback plugs
for testing com/parrallel ports.  Alternatively, you can have the students
build them.  Instructions and schematics come with TuffTest.

If you have access to the web you can find more info at:  www.tufftest.com

This quote is from their site - "Thus, #1-TuffTEST-Pro can directly test
major system components such as memory, fixed disk drives, diskette drives,
serial & parallel ports, video, keyboard, etc. False positives and false
negatives that can be induced by the system's native operating system are
eliminated."

>Also, are there any particular technical manuals, resources
>or reference materials you would recommend?

Stephen Bigelow has written several computer repair references that I have
found invaluable.  His books are well written and easy to understand.  They
cover from basic building to advanced troubleshooting of PCs.  Just what
you'd need for students.

A quick search of www.amazon.com pulled 22 titles such as:

Bigelow's Build Your Own PC Pocket Reference
Bigelow's Computer Repair Toolkit
Bigelow's PC Technician's Troubleshooting Pocket Reference
Maintain and Repair Your Notebook, Palmtop, or Pen Computer

I am not a paid employee of either of these companies.  I have simply had
good experience using these resources.

Good Luck,
Dave Souza