From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 05:59:44 -0600
Hi All,

Thanks to all that responded, both on and off list.  At the
recommendation of some of those who responded, I finally
found the Umax site and found some information on operation
of my scanner and VistaScan software with WinXP.  It says
that I can get a free patch to make it work with WinXP if I
have VistaScan 3.75 Rev 1 software.  I have version 3.31 so
I have ordered Version 3.75 Rev 1 and, when it arrives, I'll
install it, get the free patch and it should be ready to do
with WinXP.

As for the driver that I got from
http://www.driversguide.com, the file name is
umax_astra_3400_winzip.zip.  I have been a registered zip
user since way back in the late '70s.  I have looked in the
file and it has no readme or setup file.  It was the only
driver file that I could find on the net.  All the urls that
Google showed as having an XP compatible driver for this
scanner simply referred you back to driversguide.com.

Loy

m_sayer_ wrote:
> Hi,
> Have you tried downloading the file and unzipping it to a folder? (If you
> use something like winzip, usually you can unzip it to a folder right next
> to the zipped one so you know where to find it easily).
> Once you've done that, open the folder, and you might find a 'setup' program
> in there.
> If so, click it and run the set up program and follow whatever instructions
> may be in there.
> (make sure you scan for viruses first though, I scan before and after
> opening a zip file just to be sure.)
>
> If there's no 'setup', then you might have to try the 'add hardware' wizard
> in the control panel.
> Just follow the instructions and when it asks for drivers, point it in the
> direction of wherever you've saved your new scanner drivers.
>
> HTH
> Michele Sayer
>

> I'm trying to upgrade the operating system on this machine
> from WinME to WinXP.  According to the compatibility program
> that comes with WinXP, most everything that I have on this
> computer will work with WinXP except my Umax 3400 Scanner
> and its VistaScan software.  I went looking for an XP
> compatible driver for the Umax3400 and found one at
> www.driversguide.com however, it is in a zip file and has no
> directions on how to install it.  I would greatly appreciate
> any help in getting this scanner to work.  I know it is a
> cheap scanner but it has always worked very well on my
> system.  I would hate to give up on it.
>
> My system:  Dell L800r 800Mhz with, currently WinME
> operating system but soon to have WinXP, 512 megs of RAM, 20
> gig HDD in main drive, 40 gig in USB external drive.
>
> Thanks...
>

> ---
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>