From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:35:36 -0800
On 22 Nov 2005 at 1:20, Venkat Viswanathan wrote:

> (5)Win bond PCI fast ethernet Adapter(generic W89c840)

  Why?  Does it connect to anything?

  I recently had an adventure where I was changing an old machine from NT
Workstation to Win 98SE, and the NIC which had been working stopped.
Replacing it didn't fix the problem.  Moving it to another slot did -- NT
didn't do PnP, and 98SE did but disagreed with the BIOS about what IRQ to
use with the original slot....

> (6)ADSL modem connected to 2 port usb adapter card in a pci slot

  Okay.  I'm not a fan of USB-connected DSl modems -- you can get a USB
ethernet connector if necessary -- but so far as I know they do/can work.

> (7) both usb ADSL modem and winbond pci fast ehernet adapter show up
> in device manager when checked after boot

  That's normal.

> (8)connects to the internet without any problem and the connection is
> shown in the system tray.

> the device manager also shows a " wan miniport (pptp)" which also has
> a yellow exclamation mark which unlike the "win bond..adapter" can not
> be uninstalled because win xp says, without it the system will not
> boot.

  PPTP is a VPN protocol, useful only if you're connecting to a VPN server
on a remote network.  So I believe this "device" is showing up because you
have a VPN client connection defined amongst your Network Connections.  Do
you?  Why?

> And now the PROBLEM.--- The moment I try to access any site either
> with IE or FIREFOX or even try to sign up MSN messenger or yahoo
> messenger the system freezes and i have to forcibly power off.

  What if you just ping them?

  Can you run "ipconfig /all >foo.txt" and then paste the foo.txt file
contents into an email back here?  That might offer us a clue.

> after reboot I find that, the "winbond pci fast ethernet adapter" has
> a yellow mark(in device manager) which means it has been disabled. I
> uninstall/shutdown/reboot/windows detects winbond... adapter/installs
> drivers(after I choose let windows install)/ and it shows up ok in
> device manager.

  You haven't told us that you're using the winbond ethernet connection, so
maybe disabling it in Device Manager will fix the problem....

> try accessing any site or sign up any of the messenger service, the
> system freezes again and the cycle goes on. in brief the winbond
> adapter seems to disable itself the moment you try accessing any site.

> shall be very grateful for any feedback on this strange problem. do I
> change the pci ethernet card? but if it is defective how do i get
> connected in the first place and stay connected till i access any
> site?.

  What do you do to "get connected"?  If you can't go to any sites, what are
you seeing that makes you think you "are connected"?

> good day to all---- Venkat

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml