From:
Gary R Tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:25:00 -0800
Hey gang!

HP Pavilion ze4500 laptop hard drive died.  I put a new, 60gb in it and XP installed without a problem.  I played solitaire on it for an hour, rebooted, fiddled, goofed around and then thought I'd delete the 'safe' video adapter from Device Manager since it wouldn't let me 'update driver.'

I figured that upon rebooting, XP would give me a chance to identify the video adapter and get the right software; however, I got a full boot-up complete with Window's piano-sounding startup music but had no display... pitch black after the Windows logo with the loading bar.

Numerous tries and reboots led me to reinstall XP.

I noticed the CPU fan was running really high and HOT and then, the computer shut down.

Any time I hit the power button on the unit, I get lights on the keyboard for about 2 seconds and then power off.

I've tried removing battery, starting battery only, AC only, hitting reset (under laptop) and nothing allows me to get to setup, POST, etc.

Hope someone knows how to reset this thing.

--gary r. tennesen

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com