From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:36:43 +1000
Stephan wrote:
>>Someone installed Windows XP Pro and it has slowed down considerably. He
>>uses it to pay some bills online and has very limited use.  He just wants
>>it back like it was.  Now come the questions. 1) Is the slow-down because
>>of the amount of memory that XP Pro requires? 2)  If so, what is the
>>correct procedure to uninstall XP Pro and re-install ME or 3) is 98
>>second Edition better?>>

Reformat the C-Drive and install anew. Any other way is a recipe for disaster.

ME had a very poor reputation for reliability. The usual consensus is that
it was the worst Windows OS ever. Go with W98SE if you can. The owner
shouldn't see much difference in its operation. But, if he was happy with
ME and found it reliable for what he needed, I see no reason why not. Just
warn him of the likelihood of future problems with it, judging from the
experiences of most of its users.

The present bad performance could be due to insufficient memory alone, but
is more likely due to a combination of other factors such as older
incompatible hardware or software coupled with small memory.

With everything possible taken out of startup, and with careful setup and
operation, XP may run OK on 160 Mb RAM, (but by most accounts not very
well), though it should be OK for his limited needs PROVIDED everything
else is up to scratch.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>