From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:36:20 -0500
Smarter folk may give you better answers, but here are some from my
experience. You may try these while waiting for the experts to respond.

   0. You say your 28.8k modem/sound card is on an ISA riser, do you mean
that it's "onboard" the riser, or just plugged into the riser? If the
latter, you should be able to yank it and replace it with a modem and a
sound card. If the former - and, you can't replace the riser - you'll
probably have to be satisfied with "disabling" them in CP/Device Mgr.
   1. With 56K modems as cheap as they are (literally free after rebate),
why bother with the 28.8? Even a PCI software modem should run on a P166.
(I have such a collection of virtually free 56k's, I don't even buy them
any more.)
   2. If you do get a new modem, you must disable the old one in BIOS or
Control Panel or both, if you can't yank the modem card. (If you also
replace the sound card, and, you can yank it, you still must go to
Control Panel/System/Device Manager and "remove" it.)
   3. Sound card - [Key to problem?] I suspect you must "disable" (as
above) the old one on the combo card before the new PCI one will work.
   4. If you get a new modem and sound card, why not yank the combo
modem/sound card? After that you should be able to "delete/remove" both
functions (in Control Panel/System/Device Manager), rather than merely
"disabling" them.
   5. COM5? I don't know about your older ISA modem, but a PCI software
modem will function properly on a phantom COM port if it decides to
install itself on COM5. I worried about that until a techie advised
otherwise.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:49:37 -0500 Wiley Pinkerton
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I have an IBM Aptiva A90 (2168-A90), P166, 16 MB RAM, OptiViper
> Chipset.
> The problem is with the Modem/Sound card.  It is ISA on a Riser card
> in the box.
> It shows as an IBM 28.8 Data/Fax (38MDSP2780) Modem and a IBM Mwave
> MPU-401
> Sound Card.  I have downloaded several drivers for this combo card
> with no
> success.  It even tries to set it to COM 5.  Other than that, it
> doesn't recognize
> the card.  I also installed a new Creative Labs PCI sound card in
> the box also
> with no success.  (Actually, the Creative driver froze the system.)
> The New card
> worked in another system I installed it in.  Any suggestions?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>