From:
Tom Billiodeaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:49:38 -0500
You should consider your reason for wanting NTFS. Security?
Your floppy disc are probably FAT16, not FAT32, unless you purposely made
them FAT32. THe normal format for floppy dos is FAT16.
This is the most efficient use of the space especially for such a small
storage device where you will be adding small files (<4K size).
FAT16 uses much smaller sectors (about 512K).

I recently used Disk Juggler software to check the read speed of my NTFS and
FAT32 partitiion. I was surprised when the results showed the FAT32 was
almost twice as fast as the NTFS partition, contrary to what I had been
reading about file efficiency. Also, I don't notice a difference in any of
this in actual usage because my transfers are usually small files, which
don't take much time sending compared to the device it is being sent to
(CDRW)to write them.

If security is a factor, use NTFS; but only on your o/s partition. If not,
I'd recommend staying with FAT32, especially in a multiple dos system
(W98,Millen) and for your data partition. Your floppies should stay FAT16
regardless of which file system you use on your hdd.

Tom B

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml