From:
Jan Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:27:59 -0700
In <000401beb84c$601ea940$2c46a5ce@orion>, on 06/16/99
   at 06:59 PM, Ken & Barbie <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Hello, I have recently put together a new system.
>Consist of the following:
>Abit 55T31 oem socket 7 mainboard (ebay special)
>ATI xpert 98 8mg video card
>64mb pc100 ram
>WD 8.4gig ide drive
>Intel 233mmx
>Win 98
>
>My problem is that when the system begins to load windows, the
>computer hangs, the drive light begins to flicker and the system
>stops loading. At first I thought it was the CLabs awe sound
>card,  which I removed. I have checked for conflicts, ran
>msconfig, loaded the system without config.sys & autoexec.bat,
>removed video drivers but still have the same problem.
>>Thanks, Ken Cornell

Handy new system checkout:

1. Disconnect all the hard drives (power AND interface cables),
remove all non-essential cards (ie. you need video, keyboard,
mouse and floppy only). Then  boot without a floppy. You should be
able to get to the BIOS setup. Make sure all the drive info is
correct (Floppy, and NO hard drives), and BOOT from A: is the
first choice.

2. Then boot from a DOS floppy. That will at least tell you the
basic motherboard is operational.  If that fails (especially if
you get a drive or controller error message), replace the power
supply.

3. Add (1) hard drive and repeat #2. Still boot the floppy only!

4. Now you can start working on windoze and weeding out additional
cards.

Remember, it's an inanimate object. It can't testify against you
:)

jan lambert
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you
tried.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org