Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 08:52:08 +0000
        Hi.
        In short, yes, if Murphy is hanging around. But let us see the reasons.
        If printer and computer have not the same ground, they may be at
different voltages, or simply one of them has some electrostatic charge.
When you introduce the connector, nobody assures you that gnd will go in
first (unless a very well built cable, taking these things into consideration).
Therefore, during some tenths of a second, there may be a great current
flowing through signal pins while the two devices exchange electrons, which
will destroy that or those signals.
        If your system is well grounded, not a great risk; I do it all
the time with those I use.

>         Just a Quick Question:
>
>         Can you damage a computer by disconnecting/reconnecting the
> printer cable (on the computer end) while the computer is on.  I think
> you can, but others are arguing with me.
>
>         Thanks for your help.
>
>         Marc Axelrod

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)