From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:40:00 -0700
> - changed the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.1 (and others)

1. This is not a normal mask value.  I believe you want 255.255.255.0.
(It's possible to work out what will happen with a mask value of
255.255.255.1, but it's ugly, messy, complicated, and should not be
attempted at home.  Trained professionals might, on extremely rare occasion,
resort to a mask like this to fix esoteric problems that you don't have.)

2. ICS configures the gateway machine to provide two functions:  DHCP and
NAT.  The router *also* performs these two functions, probably as it comes
configured by default.  Either of these functions (or both) may not coexist
peacefully with ICS; bect to use ICS *or* a router, but not both for a
network this size.

David Gillett

On 24 Apr 2005 at 14:27, Andrea & Bill Lee wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
>     My three computer network (one XP home, two 98SE) is working well (file-sharing, printer-sharing) except for ICS. I am still on a dial-up ISP on the XP system, but the two 98SE systems cannot "see" the ICS. I had ICS working well until I replaced my old hub (it died) with a D-Link DI-604 router in anticipation of two-way Ka-Band satellite access available later this year. Since then I have;
>
> - reinstalled operating system on all systems (had planned to anyway)
> - used the disc created by XP to establish network settings on the 98SE systems
> - changed the IP of the router to 192.168.0.44 (and others)
> - changed the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.1 (and others)
> - upgraded the DI-604 to the latest firmware
> - played with various others settings
>
>     Why won't ICS work with the router? Thanks.
>
> Bill
>
>         The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
>            web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
>               Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml