From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:51:03 -0800
Hi Michael,

I am going to go mostly from memory on this, and it's one I've tried to
forget, so I might not be too clear on the details.  I set up two systems on
a wireless network with a D-Link access point and a D-Link wireless card in
the second machine.  Originally the systems were Win98 and I used a proxy to
get the second one on the internet.  Then, over a weekend, my client went
out and bought XP and installed it on both systems.  Of course, I got a call
very soon after asking if I could come over and get their network running
again.

When I tried to set up the client machine and tell it I was using home
networking to share an internet connection, it created something called a
"network bridge" (at least, that's what I remember it being called), and the
network card would be connected for about 3 seconds, then rescan the network
again, effectively disconnecting itself for 3 seconds.  It would see-saw
back and forth like this incessantly.  When I finally removed the whole
network bridge thing and assigned a static IP address to the network card,
it worked fine.  I then spent the next three hours looking for the setting
on the server machine (the one with the cable modem) to tell it to NAT for
the second machine.

I hope this helps.  Please feel free to email me off-line if you want to get
more details.

Kyle Elmblade