From:
Peter Wennersten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:00:54 +0100
Thank you for your reply.

One follow-up however.

Is it possible to give an estimation of how serious this problem is? Is
this a 'bear sleeping' that will wake up and when it does it will cause
total havoc, or might it be that this problem is latent and damage can be
kept at bay by always retaining e.g. 100 mb free disk space on both partitions?

While it might be necessary to do a re-partition to acheive a system
running at 100%, is it possible to estimate the risk involved by not
repartitioning. And what might it be worth if Drive Image says it can fix
this problem without re-partitioning?

Grateful for further assistance.
/Peter Wennersten

 >I agree with trying the re-partition and format (even try formatting it a
 >couple times). But if it doesn't format a "good" format, I would say it
 >is time to get another drive.

 >>I have an IBM Thinkpad 570 running Win98 (SE?) Swedish. My 4 gig hard
 >>drive is partitioned into C: and D:. C is slightly bigger and shows as
 >>just above 2 gig whereas D: is around 1.8 gig. C: is FAT16 and D: is
 >>FAT32. These are all IBM defaults. I have never changed any settings for
 >>the hard drive.
 >>
 >>When I start Drive Image 2002 I get an error message that they
 >>claim is very serious:
 > >
 >>"Drive Image detected error 110 on the partition starting at sector 63
 >>on disk 1. Length of partition in the partition table is incorrect. The
 >>CHS is 4193217, the LBA is 4192902 and the file system length is
 >>4193217. DI has determined that the length can be changed to the correct
 >>value of 4913217. Would you like DI to fix this error?"
 >>
 >>I looked up this error message (#110) in the DI manual and it said that
 >>this problem is very serious since it may cause loss of critical system
 >>data located at the beginning of the disk, when the hard drive fills up
 >>and wrongly 'spans over the edge' and continues writing data at
 >>beginning of the disk while thinking it is writing to the end of the
 >>disk. Basically the system would think the drive is bigger than it is,
 >>or something like that.
 >>
 >>I should say that before the crash, I got this same message after I had
 >>just installed Drive Image for the first time and wanted to run it. That
 >>time I let DI fix the error, and immediately it reported the same type
 >>of error at the end of the drive as well. I let it fix this error as
 >>well. I used the computer during the day and in the evening when running
 >>Disk Doctor the whole crash happened. I do not know if these two things
 >>are related.
 >>
 >>Now however, the system seems to be working fine anyway and maybe
 >>it is not as serious as it seems as long as I don't fill up my hard
 >>drive? I don't know.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml