From:
Jan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:54:40 -0600
* Richard F. Bolha <[log in to unmask]> [020716 15:04]:
> With Microsoft’s deadline fast approaching. What is everybody doing?
> Licensing seems pretty costly. I am now wondering, if building your
> computers from parts will be cost effective? The cost of a single XP
> standard OS at retail is $480.00. The upgrade price of $240.00 is only
> good for Win2K units. At that point, why not buy ready-made units
> with XP or greater included? I wonder how long I could run Win 2K
> pro and office 2000 and Office 97? Most users are happy with
> them.  The cost of doing business is getting out of hand.
> Comments? Ideas?

How about Linux, OpenOffice.org?  I used to be a MS fan, but several
years ago I had to learn about Linux because we couldn't afford an NT
server.  I have watched the desktop improve, until it is quite useable
these days.  There are a few nuisances, but then there are nuisances
galore with MS products too.

Linux is beginning to make a dent in the corporate and government
worlds as people start realizing just how much money they can save.
And the more manipulative MS gets the less loyalty you see.  Sure,
changing over will take some effort (as it does even going from one
Windows version to another) but there are some great benefits in
stability and the assurance that protocols and data formats will
remain accessible.

The most important thing is that there is a choice.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [log in to unmask]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>