Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:48:05 +0000
I'm having a similar problem.  I want to reload xp pro because I believe I have an infection that is slowing my pc to a crawl.  When I try to reload using the origional disk it says it is older than the version I am using and stops me.
I also have a problem with Office and when I try to reload it it goes aminute or so and then reboots the pc and stops.
I need help.  I went to the site but could not figure out how to use it.

--
David

From: Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>

> Donald DeWitt wrote:
> > *I have a four year old Dell desktop that was factory equipped with XP Home
> > addition. Some time ago I had upgraded to XP Professional. Now I intend to
> > give the computer to my grand daughter and I'd like to format the hard
> > drive
> > and reinstall the original operating system for her. However when I place
> > the original CD in the drive and click on the reinstall option, I get a
> > "can
> > not do" response. Something about cannot downgrade to XP Home. *
> >
> > *Is there a way around this installation problem?*
> > Donald DeWitt
> >

> Assuming that you don't want any of the data that was on the drive
> already, there are a few options. Most require the ability to create a
> bootable CD.
>
> 1) DBaN the drive (Derik's Boot and Nuke) which will completely
> obliterate any data that was on the drive. Windows XP Home will then
> see the system as a blank drive. The downside is that you might lose
> any hidden volumes that Dell placed on the drive.
>
> http://dban.sourceforge.net/
>
> (If you create a DBaN CD, keep it under lock and key and well away from
> any curious users. It won't wipe your disks as soon as you boot, but
> it's only a few short keystrokes to get to that point.)
>
> You can also simply wipe out the partition table using the fdisk command
> on a Knoppix or Ubuntu LiveCD. WinXP Home would then see the drive as
> being blank.
>
> 2) The original Dell CDs might have come with an option to reset the
> system back to factory defaults?
>
> OTOH, why not give her WinXP Professional as-is? I don't remember if
> the upgrade version will let you install over an existing version and
> still offer you the change to format.
>
> Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
> articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
> http://freepctech.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml