From:
Joe Drysdale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:42:58 EST
In a message dated 3/16/99 10:23:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have my Maint. Wizard (W98) set to run scan disk (thorough) and disk
 defrag every night.  Is there some reason that this frequency is not a good
 idea?  TIA! >>

I have mine set the same way but don't always leave my computer on for the
Wizard to work. On some occasions I start the Maint Wizard manually during the
day, such as when I know I'll be gone for a couple of hours. IMHO the % of
fragmentation has little to do with how often to defrag. After several days of
normal use I always enjoy an increase in operating speed after defragging, and
I wouldn't go more than a week without defragging under any circumstance.
Scandisk, I run after a hang of any kind (thorough) and in conjunction with
defrag at other times. Win98 spreads files all over the hard drives...........
let the Wizard gather them up and place them where they belong while I sleep.

Joe Drysdale

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html