From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:00:02 +1000
Kenneth wrote:
>Best practice is to power down fully before connecting or disconnecting a
>device that uses VGA, DVI, PS/2, AT, serial, or parallel port connections
>(pretty much anything other than USB or Firewire).>>

Not even firewire is safe, despite its specs stating that firewire devices
must be hot-pluggable to comply. It seems that not all firewire devices comply.

Panasonic digital video cameras (at least, some older models) have a
tendency to fry if hot-plugged into the firewall connection.

They do put a cautionary sticker on the manual, but these warnings get
lost, overlooked, or forgotten. The result is a lot of very unhappy
Panasonic owners, which Panasonic apparently didn't want to know anything
about.

They claim to be spec-compliant because in MOST cases no damage is
done.  Hmmmm.

Don Penlington
 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com