From:
Richard Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:26:58 +0100
on 21.07.98 at 13:50 OEZ Gianluca Zanetti wrote:

<snip>
>One month ago I installed two 32MB SDRAM DIMMs and got rid of
>the older SIMMs. The system booted up, memory tests ok and
>everything was fine, but since then I experience random lockups
>and/or resets or random weird MS blue screens referring to
>invalid page address.
<snip>

Hello,

I've had the same problem quite a few times, and most often
random bluescreens point to memory problems (I HAVE had it
happen with a CPU the board wasn't designed for.) As you say
DOS doesn't give you any problems as it's not very memory
intensive, but as soon as win95/98 boots up and starts some
heavy memory swapping, it's goodbye. That's not to say the
DIMMs are defect, it's probably just the combination of your
MOBO and the DIMMs. Some(older) boards get a bit shaky if
both DIMM slots are in use so you might want to try taking
the following steps:

1: take one dimm out and see if you can run windows with that.
works?/doesnt work? -> 2

2: swap them and reboot windows
works and St.1 didn't-> DIMM used in St.1 defect
works and St.1 also -> Board doesn't like 2 DIMMs buy/trade
 single 64MB DIMM (with option of returning if it doesn't
 work)
doesnt work and St.1 did -> DIMM used in St.2 defect
doesn't work and St.1 didn't either -> Board doesn't like
 DIMMs (maybe only this brand?) OR both DIMMs defect(unlikely)
 test in another computer to be sure.

3: After testing both DIMMs like this and you get errors with
both, you might want to try reducing the memory timing and see
if that works. You can try this first if you like.

Hope this helps

Rick Swartz