From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:23:07 -0800
Phil Wrote:
>Whenever I insert a CD, it makes a clicking noise as though the spinner is
having problems functionning properly.

The clicking you hear is the laser jumping around the disk. This is a normal
function.

>The result becomes the CD inserted is not read, detected, and unaccessible
through My Computer and Windows Explorer

This may be the result of the drive not spinning up which means the motor is
defective or worn out. You did say that this is a 36X (I have a Creative 36x
cd rom drive) which is rather old and I suspect it has come to the end of
the road.

I would replace the drive with a quality CD-RW which can be used to backup
files and such not to mention play music CD's games etc.

Another possibility may be the settings in the BIOS have changed for some
reason. You may want to check that also. However, I do feel the drive is
dead.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers