Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:59:54 +0000
        Hi.

> VBOK #5 - Upgrade from Win95A to OSR2
>
> Alright, I got a submission for the newsletter. It's listed below,
> The tip below has worked for me twice so far on two totally different machines. Still, you
should make a backup before attempting the upgrade.

> So without further rambling, here's the cool info tip.

> The following was submitted by Gordon Churchill (The NMI)
>
> Here is a way to install win95B over win95 - It saves alot of time and this way you don't have
to have a bare drive before you do the install. It works pretty well, but I don't make any
promises, so no yelling if it doesn't work right for you.

> One of the advantages of 95B is the fat32 file structure, among other things. Have fun,
kiddies!

> Step 1 Start the Win 95B setup from Windows. Stop at the dialog box that reads License
Agreement. Don't click on Next.

> Step 2 Press Ctrl-Esc to open the Start menu, then select Run. In the Run dialog, type
NOTEPAD.EXE, and then press Enter. In Notepad, find the folder WININST0.400, which OSR2 creates,
and open SETUPPP.INF. Inside this file, insert the line OEMUP=1 after the [data] heading, like
this:
> [data]
> OEMUP=1
>
> Step 3 Save your changes to SETUPPP.INF and close Notepad. Press Alt-Tab to return to the OSR2
installation window and continue from there. You must type in the 20-digit number found on the
Certificate of Authenticity on the front of your Win 95B manual to complete the installation.

> Hope this helps...
>
> Leif Greogry

        Well, this seems to me an extraordinary trick; congratulations to Leif and
to Gordon.
        However, I've always seen that OSR2 uses to leave very little conventional
memory in its DOS sessions (even with the usual tricks), which may be a problem for
some programs or games. It appears to be better in last OSR2 CD's, but the final
reason has always been a mistery to me.

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)