Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:03:28 -0700
  My impression is that the AMD Athlon XP CPUs need plenty of power; I'm
not positive that 350W is enough.  They also tend to run hot; I'm wondering
if the CPU fan is inadequate or not making good contact, so that the CPU
overheats and reboots.
  I do not believe Win98SE will allow you to get the benefit of all the
performance available in this hardware configuration.  I would recommend
taking the step up to XP, although I do not expect this to address your
restart issue.

David Gillett

On 6 Oct 2004 at 19:59, Anne Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just taken possession of a new computer.
>
> AMD Athlon XP3000+ (333MHz FSB)
> ASUS MB A7N8X-X Nforce2, DDR400 Audio/lan
> Western Digital 80 Gig HDD 7200rpm 2M
> 512 DDR PC3200 Ram
> 350W case
> Samsung 52x CDrom
> AIP Floppy drive
> PColour V Radeon 9200TVDVI 128 graphics card
>
> running Win98SE
>
> This outfit takes over 4 minutes to start up.
>
> I have tried to install a few games to test out the graphics (Need for Speed, Quiddich, Ghost Recon all original CDs) from the CD drive.
>
> Auto run does not work.
>
> The progs get part way through install routine, then the machine restarts.
>
> I tried to install a smaller game from a CD (3 meg exe file) The machine restarted part way through install routine.
>
> I copied the 3 meg exe file to desktop, managed to install and start the game to have the machine restart after less than a minute of play.
>
> The HDD shows as 19 gig instead of 80 (or reduced amount to allow for conversion to gig) when I look at MY Computer.
>
> I went to the DOS window through Start/ Program and tried to do DIR command. The machine restarted.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution?
>
> I will be taking it back to the shop tomorrow, but if I can have some suggestions before hand, I will look as if I know more..
>
> Thanks
>
> Anne Smith

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com