From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:57:39 -0800
Sylvain Gallant:

> I am triing to repair an HP 5100 C.  It is out of warranty and HP wants
$135
> an hour.  Not worth it.
>
> The scanner detects and installs fine and goes through the motions of
scanning.
> The light also comes on and goes through the back and forth motion of
triing to
> find a region.  The problem is that it never finds a region and that
everything
> is black on my preview windows.  The light comes on but the self test
gives a
> light failure.  The scan Head does not come back to the home position and
If I
> do the test or scan twice in a row, the head gets jammed all the way to
the
> front of the scanner.  It does not stop anywhere.  I am also wondering
what the
> mirrors are for at the front and back of the scanhead.  I'm guessing they
were
> for some sort of allignment at the factory.

Since the exposure lamp is good, I would suspect the CCD module.
The CCD(charge coupled device) by means of analog to digital
conversion gives your scanner "sight".
The power supply is probally not the problem since your 24vdc stepper
motor and 5v/12vdc logic circuit is working based on scanner movement
and self test.
The CCD module is usually located on the scan assembly below the
exposure lamp and consists of a long thin fiberoptic array with a small
circuit board attached(CCD).
It's also possible the Main PWB is bad, and just not processing
the CCD's output.

-yui shin

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org