From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 03:58:41 -0500
The resource CD contains drivers specific to the motherboard and chipset
installed, so it's unlikely they were out of date.
The most important part of my reply was whether you'd checked for Yellow
marks in Control Panel/System/Device Manager.(I should have been more
specific). Yellow marks here would indicate that critical drivers are
missing, which I suspect is the case.
Dell makes very reliable computers, for the most part, and I regularly
recommend them.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> I installed drivers from the manufacturers, not dell drivers.  I replaced a lot of stuff, and the Dell drivers were way out of date anyway.  I won't buy another Dell, but when the need arises I'll build what I want. I should donate the dell to a charity.
>

> Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Did you use the Resource disk to install the drivers?
>> Take a look in Control Panel for any yellow entries.
>>

>> [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>> I have the same question about Dell computers.  I put a new HD on a 2001 Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP Pro
>>  (I used a Dell OEM XP Pro CD), and it never ran right after that.  It
>> is the slowest running installation of XP
>>
>>  I have ever seen.  It boots, but slower than molasses in January.
>> When I bought the computer it had Win Me on it.
>>
>>  The 8200 is now sitting in a closet gathering dust because no one
>> could stand using it.
>>
>>  We timed the boot at nearly 15 minutes, and there wasn't that much
>> software on the machine.
>>
>>  These proprietary machines must have some built-in self destruct
>> mechanism if you remove their special partition.
>>
>>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>>                     visit our download web page at:
>>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

> Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
> As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register
>
> Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>