From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:50:14 -0800
No...it is not possible to install Win98 in  200 meg partition. You would
be able to install a stripped down version in a 220 to 240 meg partition
but any additional apps that wanted to write to Win98 directory would
quickly overfill the partition. Of course it would also be necessary to
locate your swap file on a separate partition to have any real world
functionality. I would recommend you install 98 on a minimum of a 500 meg
partition. Mine resides quite comfortably on a 600 meg partition. The only
apps that I installed on the C drive were IE4 stuff but my favorites and IE
temp files are on another partition. My 250 meg swap file is also on it's
own partition.If you want to keep your swap file on your C drive .....and
maybe install a few critical applications then make your C drive 1 GB.
You can easily partition the Drive the way you have described. This is how
I would set it up.

I am assuming you have no existing data that you wish to copy from a old
hard drive to your new drives.
Boot from a floppy that has FDISK and FORMAT on it that was copied from Win
95B or Win98 C:\windows\command directory....your boot disk, FDISK and
FORMAT must be from one of these versions in order to support FAT 32. Load
FDISK and when it asks you if you wish Large DISK support say yes.
First check the drives for any existing partitions...yes even the new
drives.....remove them all.
Now on your new 6.4GB master DISK ONE create a primary Dos partition using
500megs to 1 GB and mark it active
On the same drive ...using the rest of the space....create an extended
partition
Now within that exerted partition start creating  your three 1500 meg
logical drives and a fourth one with what is left over from your C drive.
Move to the slave DISK 2 ...you don't have to exit out of FDISK ...just ESC
back to the main menu and select DISK 2
Make sure there are no existing partitions on Disk 2...if there are
......remove them.
Now create an extended partition using all the space on the slave drive DISK 2
Next Create your two 1500 meg logical drives within the extended partition.
ESC out of FDISK.
Reboot from your floppy so Dos can write the new partition table
Now start formatting your drives one at a time ....Reboot again and your
done....all your drives will appear in alphabetical order and all will be
FAT32. ...and your CD ROM will appear as the last letter.

>I just bought a  Caviar 6.4GB and Micron has send me a replacement for
>my WD 3.1GB that was thrash with a new Disk drive of same model.
>I want to install the WD 6.4 as master and the WD 3.1 as slave.
>Is it possible to install WIN 98 on the partition of 200MB as FAT 16 and
>and partition the rest into 4 X 1500+MB as FAT32 and the WD 3.1 into 2 X
>1500+ as FAT32 ?
>Can I use the slave as back up for all my files in case my master drive
>crash again.
Thnx

                                  -----