From:
Winston Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:34:38 -0500
Well, being the cable modem installer that I am....
Your cable provider will more than likely already have a modem that they
will rent to you.
We do this and so does the AT&T @home. In a few areas you may supply your
own modem.
Most external modems are about the size of a large paperback book. I would
definately stay away
from internal modems (cost).
All cable modems use a standard 10baseT ethernet (10Mbs). We have two basic
types of modems
here. One that requires an ethernet card in the computer and the other which
uses a built in USB network
adapter in the modem. I prefer the USB since we don't have to open the
customer's computer and I have
not noticed any speed decrease using USB as opposed to ethernet.
AT&T forces you through a proxy server (in Denver) which slows you down. We
have a local connection
to our provider here so we have almost complete fiber (except for the 1/2
mile or so of coax).
Our minimum requirements for an install is a Pentium 166 and 32M of RAM

Winston