From:
"Joab S. Herman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:54:23 -0400
Hi Francis,

The answer to your question can be either simple or complicated.

If you are creating a new installation, the simplest way is to
first boot from a Win95/98/ME boot disk, and run FDISK to create
your two partitions. Then go ahead and do the new Windows 2000
install.

But you probably have an existing installation that you want to
keep, and that's where it can get more complicated. There are
various backup programs that you can use to backup your current
system - file or image types - some (mostly image types) with
the capability to make boot diskettes that you can use to
restore from, without having to reinstall windows first. If you
use one of these programs (ie. DriveImage, Instant Recovery,
etc.) you can then boot from the aforementioned Win95/98/ME boot
disk, create your new partitions and then restore your current
system. But if you are using an image type backup, your backup
set must not be larger than the partition you are restoring to.
With file type backups, you can restore to more than one
partition, but you might have to reinstall Windows 2000 first,
then reinstall the backup software before you can restore your
backup.

Unquestionably, the simplest solution is to buy a product like
PartitionMagic, which runs about $50-$60 mailorder. You can then
reduce the size of your existing partition from within Windows
2000 itself, and use the freed space to create a second
partition. If necessary, you can transfer stuff back and forth
between the two partitions, and readjust the partition sizes
until you get your 10 and 20GB partitions.

Obviously, whatever solution you decide on, a complete, verified
backup is essential before you change anything.

Hope this helps.
Joab