From:
David Nasser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:56:54 CST
Good Folks,

At bit late to the game, I've recently been building a new system
around:
  Abit BH6 mainboard
  Celeron 300A SL32A Malay retail box (packed 12/1/98)
  Mushkin 64 MB sdram with Samsung GH cas2

I set it up at the default 66 mhz/300 mhz, ran minimal tests, then
loaded NT WS 4.0 and applied SP3.

The multiplier on the 300A is locked at 4.5. When I set the FSB up
to 100 mhz (cpu to 450) it would POST but wouldn't load an OS at
default core voltage of 2.0. Same with 2.05 v. At 2.1 volts I got
it to run BURNIN for hours before it crashed my little NT ("IRQL_
NOT_LESS_OR_EQ" from ntoskrnl.exe). I've now been running BURNIN
at 450 mhz/2.2 volts for about 12 hours.

Does this sound acceptable? I went to a lot of trouble to get the
vendor to give me a written quote on a Malay SL32A because I'd
heard that that cpu was "as good as it gets" in terms of quality.
Didn't expect to have to increase the voltage to 2.2 v. or beyond.
Some folks have been running them at 450/2.0 v. for months. The
cpu runs very close to room temp.: heat doesn't seem to be an
issue. I can return the 300A anytime in the coming week, but
the vendor apparently has no mo' Malay chips. When I received it,
the box was open and marked "tested at 450", but when I talk to
the vendor nobody knows what "tested" means, so maybe they got
a POST out of it and (conveniently) considered it "tested".

Are there non-BURNIN programs that I should be running for
additional tests?

Anything else I should be looking at to thoroughly test the new
system?

  TIA und Zalut,
  David

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]  **
** Univ. Mo. St. Louis              **                              **

"Funniest thing I ever seen,
 polecat jumped on a sewing machine.
 Sewing machine, it run so fast
 took 99 stitches in his ... yas, yas, yas!"
       from "The Dirty Dozens", Memphis Minnie, maybe 1939

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html