From:
generalstuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:56:26 -0400
Be careful what you delete.

The "real" My Pictures" and "My Documents" folders are under Documents and Settings - one for each user  (I only have one because there are no other users on my PC).  The "My Documents" at the "top of the tree" is a pointer to the "real" folder in the My Documents folder.  Don't delete it.  It's sort of like a shortcut, but not really - its a pointer.  If you delete it, it might delete your "real" My Documents folder (I haven't tried it, but wouldn't suggest you do so).  My Documents and/or My Pictures folders can be moved (to a different drive or partition, for instance), but they MUST be moved IN A PARTICULAR WAY, in order to keep the pointers, such as the "My Documents" at the "top of the tree" (and in the START Menu, for instance) in sync with the location of the actual folder(s).   If you restore your computer registry to a point before it was moved, then it reappears (empty of files) in the original position and must be moved again in a particular way to where you want it and the folders and files it contained moved back into it.  If you go about deleting "extra" My Documents" or My Pictures "folders,"  you could mess up all the pointers.

AnnaSummers