Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 07:25:13 -0500
Hi Angela:  Did these problems come with the installation of Windows ME ?
The computer I have now came with ME and it seemed like it was looking up 5
to 10 times a day, a reboot would fix it. I to had a burner and a cam. I
wrote it off as HP was not as good of a computer as I was told. I received a
XP disk from HP and clean installed it and it was not the same computer when
I got done. It never locks up, I have ask a lot of people if they had
problems with ME and they all had complaints.
 If you are on a budget I would go back to Windows 98SE and add more
memory,MIN 128mgb and turn off your screen saver, set your burn speed at 2X
when burning CD's to prevent under buff if that is one of your problems.
 If you are not on a budget I would buy a bare bones and move your Hard
drive and burner over to it. Your memory (RAM) won't work on a newer
machine. If you shop you can find SDRAM for about $10.00 per 128mgb stick,
the Bare Bones may come with it. You might check inside your computer to
make sure you have no ISA slot cards in it, the last few newer Bare bones I
helped set up did not have these slots. I noticed on the Wal-Mart web page
they have a computer, no modem or Operating System for $200.00 can't
remember all the details but you do get a 1 year warranty.
This is all my opinion and hope it sparks other input for you.
Good Luck
Rick Schanlaub