From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:20:00 -0400
Hi.

I know that was the way it was when I first signed up (mediaone?).  I also
remember Comcast sending me a new
Cable modem to replace the Big HUGE heavy one that I first had, right after
they took over from AT&T.
They said it was to improve it's service.  Maybe with the newer cable modems
it no longer needs the NIC info.

I know I had to put the NIC MAC info in the linksys router to get all other
system at home to be able to go on the web.
This was all about 8-9 years ago.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

Greetings Hugh and list--
My Comcast connection and account are (allegedly) tied to the MAC (Media
Access Code) of my ethernet card. This is according to the Comcast Technical
Support representatives with whom I spoke.(I say allegedly because, after an
apparent failure of the ethernet card to which the cable modem was
originally attached, I enabled the built-in ethernet connection of my
motherboard and connected with that.) In any case, if the former owner's
account is tied to the MAC of the device, is it possible that you are unable
to connect for that reason?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com