From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:48:27 -0600
>Although in theory the more RAM the better, some system configurations "get
confused" when more than 96M of RAM is present. Although I have not
experienced the problem myself, I have read that Windows 95 with some
motherboards can actually report less RAM when more RAM is installed. That
is, if you go beyond 128M, the system will think that you only have 64M -
something like that. This is probably what the store folks were referring
to.

   I think you've got this confused. Windows 95 as will any Windows version
will accurately report the amount of installed RAM if it is good quality and
proper quantity for that motherboard. What *IS* a problem is that older TX
motherboards have a caching problem with RAM aboue 64 MB. Put 80 or 96 or
128 on those machines and they will have a pause effect when accessing RAM
above the first 64 MB. So the rule of thumb is stick with 64 MB or below on
older TX motherboards. Newer motherboards don't have this problem although
as noted there can be some video anomalies in some configurations with RAM
above 512 MB. Yet many people successfully run 1 to 2 GB of RAM on new
systems and have good results.

All the best,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist