From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:28:59 -0400
From: "Tom Waddell"
> Installing OS on HD that contains data

>I have an 80GB HD with maybe 5GB of music on it.
>Want to make it the C: drive. Can I install Win XP on
>it and retain the music already on the HD?

You can, and it is easy.
You have to start the install and watch the screens VERY
closely and make the correct choices/selections when asked.

Having said that, it is generally safer to store the info
somewhere and let Windows do the whole thing from
scratch including a long format.
That will test the surface of the drive and make sure
Windows gets installed correctly on sound media.

I can see three things going wrong. (Using the easy way.)
Lots of people erase the data they want to save...
The drive could try to use a slightly bad part of the surface
that a long format would detect better.
You could wind up with either a "repair install" or a
second install (parallel install) of Windows.

Disclaimer:
Follow the install screens very carefully.

Rick Glazier