From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:36:01 -0500
At 04:29 AM 3/30/1998 Mark Walter  wrote:

>     Just built a system(Mtech Mig 540 MoBo w/32MB DiMM,
>P233MHz CPU) and when the machine is first turned on the memory
>count stops at 20MB and will go no further. If I hit reset it boots
>up fine and the system runs without any troubles and without a hint
>of any memory problems. Every once in a while it will boot right up
>without the lockup??  Double checked that all was tightly in place
>and everything seems to be configured correctly  but cannot figure
>out why it will stop like that when counting the memory. I have tried
>replacing  the Dimm strip with no luck, it is tightly in place and
>all jumpers are set correctly.

Mark:

Perhaps the power supply is questionable. If you have a lot of
drives and other components installed and you have a marginal
power supply, say a 200W no-name power supply, you may
experience problems like this (momentarily insufficient power for
all devices when power is turned on, such that some fail POST).

Also check out the voltage setting you used for your DIMMs, and
the CMOS settings for your RAM (you could try a slower RAM
timing and more refresh, but that would slow things down a little).

Finally, try enabling all thorough tests of the system at POST;
perhaps that will give the system time to get the power up to
acceptable levels before the RAM test.

Regards,

John Chin