From:
Oscar Viñas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:20:42 -0500
I've studied that during the startup, the computer searches the adapter
cards for ROM BIOSs to load, (mainly video, SCSI and network cards). A
computer with a ROM BIOS in the network card allows to build a diskless
workstation which will load the operating system from the server in the
network.
I've seen that every network card (NIC) has an empty socket where it is
supposed to connect the BIOS circuit in the case you want it this way. Ok, I
need to do it, because in our institution we have some computers without
hard disks and we could use them as diskless workstations, so my question is
how to do it?
=Where to find those BIOS circuits? Are they sold as spare parts or should I
contact with the specific NIC manufacturer?
=Can I burn myself those circuits? In that case, what do I need to look for
and where? What kind of EPROM to look for? Does it depends on the specific
NIC? Where to find (download) the software to burn in?
=In any case, should I configure anything in the Operating System in the
server to allow a diskless station to load the OS from there?

TIA

Oscar