From:
Steve Milani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 09:04:17 -0400
Hi David,
Thanks a lot for your reply to this "interesting" situation.
I plan to use 2 of the "extra" wires in the phone cable that are not being
used currently.
I wasn't even sure it could be done with two nics (one rj45 and a separate
phone line adapter.)
Sounds like I should move ahead and try it!
Steve M.

At 01:05 PM 5/21/01 -0700, you wrote:
>   I've actually done something similar with the LinkSys PhoneLink
>gear.  Their basic package comes with two NICs and a driver CD-ROM.
>
>   These are not ordinary NICs -- they include an RJ-45 10-BaseT port
>and two RJ-11 phone line ports.  [You use one or the other -- the 10-
>BaseT port is so you don't have to replace the NIC if you move the
>machine to a place where it can be on your Ethernet.]
>   This is intended to allow a machine at a remote extension to join
>the network -- not sure if your phone system *between buildings* can
>do this!
>   Anyway, the NIC installs just like any other with its own drivers.
>So now I have a machine on my Ethernet that has a second NIC in it;
>assign it aa address on a different subnet (same as the remote), and
>(this box is running NT) check the "packet forwarding" box so it
>becomes a router between the Ethernet and PhoneLink subnets.  [This
>box is also the default gateway on my net, so everybody els can talk
>to the PhoneLink right away; I have WINS on my PDC so everyone can
>find the remote by name as well as by address.
>
>   If the phone system between your buildings doesn't allow for this,
>you may have to go to something like a dialup modem connection, which
>is going to be a lot slower.
>
>David G
>

>On 20 May 2001, at 16:31, Steve Milani wrote:
>
> > I have a current ethernet network to which I need to add a computer over a
> > phone line (it's in another building).
> > Can I use one of the current network computers and add a USB phoneline
> > adapter to it to "connect" the new computer?
> > If so, how do the two devices (PCI Ethernet NIC <AND> USB phoneline
> > adapter) talk to each other to provide the connection among all computers?
> >
> >         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
> >        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
> >            Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com
> >

>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>