From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:19:57 -0600
One cannot give an absolute answer to that question, as it depends on
several factors.

Leaving the monitor on all the time slowly wears out its components and
subjects it to lightning and power surges, not to mention wastes
electricity.  But turning it on is also hard on it.

Personally, I turn my monitor on at the start of day and turn it off at the
end of day.  During the day it goes into low power mode if I am not using it
for a few minutes.  I think that this is a reasonable compromise.

As far as the rest of the computer is concerned, I doubt that it makes a
great deal of difference whether the monitor is on of off, but I can't
absolutely say one way or the other.

Dean Kukral