From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:59:08 -0500
I also use and recommend Ghost for backups because it is fast and
versatile. Symantec has a free program called Ghost Explorer to use in
Windows 9x so that you can retrieve individual files from the backup file.
A very handy tool [last time I checked you couldn't do that with Drive
Image]. Note that both Ghost and Drive Image compress all the files into
one large file.  Remember that a CD can only hold (uncompressed, i.e. using
xcopy) about 650 Meg.  Many hard drives with basic user software can have
more than 650 M.

Also remember that you cannot just xcopy to a CD. You will have to use CD
burner software to create a CD. Using Ghost you can backup to a single file
on a hard drive and then use your CD software to burn that file into a CD.

Doug

At 12/6/99 08:04 PM , Janus, Philip wrote:

>You should look at a program Norton has (http://www.symantec.com) called
>"Ghost" - it allows you to specify a disk to image and simply creates a
>restorable image of an entire volume/ disk drive. The program is DOS-based,
>so a DOS bootable disk, run Ghost, restore, and you're back in business.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>